Don’t change yourself for anyone
I’ve learned that there are people in this world who will criticize you and make you feel like there is something wrong with you. And it’s difficult not to start believing them and not to start wondering, “Should I change who I am? Am I really as flawed as this person makes me out to be?”
In my life, I have been guilty of changing who I was for someone else. Trust me, this is not something I am proud of.
But through this experience, I learned an important lesson. I learned that there will be people who come in to your life and will try to change the person you are and mold you in to the kind of person they think you should be.
When this happens, you need to know that, in no way is it your fault. Each person in this world is unique, and if someone can’t accept the things that make you uniquely you, then it’s that person’s loss.
So, I challenge you to leave a comment, telling me all the things you love about yourself. And, the next time someone tries to make you feel bad about yourself, remember the things you love about yourself.
I recently finished watching the show “Sex and the City” all the way through for the first time, and, in the last episode, the character Carrie Bradshaw said, “The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you that you love, well, that’s just fabulous.”
That is a quote I need to live by. I need to remember that anyone who doesn’t love the me that I love just isn’t worth it.
Here are some of the things that I love about myself, and I challenge you to do the same. Stop thinking about the things you don’t like about yourself and instead think of the things that you love.
1. I love that I’m not afraid to say what I feel.
2. I love that I help people with their problems and that I care about making others happy.
3. I love that I don’t care what strangers think about me. I have no problem dancing in the street or telling jokes that may make some people feel uncomfortable but most people laugh.
4. I love that, when I do love someone, I give my entire heart.
5. I love that I am the kind of person who doesn’t give up.
6. I love that I live on my own and that I can take care of myself.
7. I love that I am a hard worker and that having a job I love is more important to me than the amount of money I make.
8. I love that I believe in forever.
9. I love that I am able to use what I’ve learned in my life to help people with mental illnesses.
10. I love that I am not ashamed to ask for help if I need it.
11. And I especially love that there is no one else in the world exactly like me.