Impossibly Easy Chocolate Banoffee Recipe
- Prepare the dulce de leche.
- In a food processor, beat the graham crackers or digestive cookies until finely ground.
- Melt the butter in a deep pan over medium to low heat.
- When it has melted, add the ground cookies. Mix with a spatula to combine.
- When the mixture starts to resemble wet sand, remove from heat. Add 50 g of chocolate. Continue mixing away from heat until the chocolate melts and is distributed evenly in the mixture.
- Press mixture onto the bottom and sides of a round 26 cm spring form pan or a 10×35 cm rectangular baking pan. Use the bottom of the glass to press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and the sides of the pan.
- Refrigerate the pan so that the mixture can chill, for 15-20 minutes.
- Clean the deep pan and place over low heat. Add the condensed milk (dulce de leche) that should by now have a lovely caramel taste and color. Heat until it warms up and melts and add 1 pinch of salt.
- Add the 100 g of chocolate. Remove from heat and continue to stir until the mixture is completely combined.
- Remove the baking pan from the refrigerator. Add the caramel mixture over the pie base and refrigerate again for 2-3 hours, until it completely chills.
- Before serving, prepare the bananas. Slice them and toss them in the lemon juice so that they don’t turn brown.
- Beat the heavy cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract, until it becomes like thick yogurt.
- Decorate the pie with the sliced bananas and top with whipped cream.
- Serve with ground cookies.
If you would like to avoid preparing the dulce de leche on your own, you can find ready-made dulce de leche in big super markets!